Ten things you never knew about… Lithuania
March 11 is a national holiday in Lithuania marking the day in 1990 when they regained their independence from the Soviet Union.
1. Lithuania was the first country to break away when the USSR began to collapse.
2. Of all languages spoken today, Lithuanian is the closest to ancient Sanskrit.
3. The national sport of Lithuania is basketball. Their men’s team is currently ranked third in the world behind the USA and Spain.
4. Lithuania has been an EU member since 2004.
5. After Lithuania joined the EU, its president, Dalia Grybauskaite, became an EU Commissioner. She was named Commissioner of the Year in a Europeans of the Year poll in 2005
8. Lithuania’s women won two gold medals at the London 2012 Olympics, for modern pentathlon and 100 metres breaststroke swimming.
9. Lithuania is the only country in the world with its own official scent called, appropriately enough, the Scent Of Lithuania.
10. There are more hot air balloons per head of population in Lithuania than in any other country